Monday, July 2, 2007

Debrief: Day One

They say that the simplest solution is usually the correct one. Hundreds of books were published about JFK conspiracy theories... still the solution remains accepted - just a pissed of guy with something to prove.

Simple, eh? Sometimes our imaginations don't like to settle for simplicity.

[don't worry - this isn't going to become a conspiracy theory update site... just my blog]


So as to the subject of this entry... today was my first real day of work. By myself. The Moxie is a very imaginative place - things go down constantly there. Music, art, blood drives, shoe drives. There are even rumors of ghosts and other spooky spectacles... plenty to make stories about.

"The First Day" can be pretty stressful. Am I gonna know what to do? What happens when I get an order wrong? What if my manager is secretly spying on me and has implanted microphones into all the coffee cups!? My imagination was at its beak on the ride there... but like I said - simplicity is sometimes hard to grasp.

In my entire 11-3 shift, I had seven costumers. This may seem like a lot - but on a four hour shift, thats barely two people an hour... and actually one of them was there when i got there. He was eating a muffin and workin on his computer.

[Oh ya - Moxie has free wireless... yet another reason to stop by]

I didn't really do anything for him. He gave me his plate and fork when he was done... I think I did a pretty adequate job rinsing them off.

Costumers 2 through 6 where all in the store at the same time. The middle four consisted of my mom, my sister, a friend of my mom, and a friend of my sister... simple enough. The first lady got a mocha frappe... the most generic drink on the menu.

Simple.

Number six was my boss... who actually gave me the most complicated order ever. I think it was a non-fat-iced-apple-caramel-spiced-chai-latte.

Thats like... three different drinks in one - a little nervous now. I suppose she anticipated this, she walked me through the whole thing. Simple.

Now, number seven. Oh - mister seven. Apparently he works at vons. Apparently von's workers get a discount. I was unaware of this. He walked me through the cash register process... embarrassing - but simple. All he wanted was two shots of espresso and some non-fat milk.

Gross... but simple.

Overall - the stress level from day one was entirely overrated. I spent the rest of my time listening to sufjan and mika on repeat [ i guess i didn't bring enough CD's... four hours is a lot of music... good thing i'm friends with tali] My fellow co-worker/human being Sarah came in at about one. We sat down. She left at about three-thirty. It was wonderful.

Day one: Simple.


Look what i found... i am certain that his shirt says moxie.
thats probably the most exciting thing I've seen all day.

Editors note: Apparently he started a magazine during his stay at Hope College named Moxie.
There you go.
Thanks again to Tali for even more useless trivia.

8 comments:

Songbird. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Songbird. said...

Let me try this again...I absolutely LOVE everything about this blog! It made me smile :)

cephalothorax said...

i knew you would go when i wrote the blog.
but the truth is,
i made the idea.
the spreading of the roots was a metaphor for the growth of the idea.
that is where you were invloved.

cephalothorax said...

i like this one.
if was a good use of my time
to read it.
and yes four hours is way more
than two cds.

David Hughes said...

"My fellow co-worker/human being"


...genius.

cephalothorax said...

the blog you requested is up.

Alyssa said...

i miss you david! and am glad to be reading your stuff again!

cephalothorax said...

new blog.